Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Traffic Citations

The Traffic Unit deals with infraction violations of traffic laws and other minor offenses, such as fishing without a fishing license. When an individual is cited by a law enforcement officer for a traffic, local ordinance, animal control, or other minor violation, the original citation is delivered to the court for processing.

PLEASE NOTE: All parking violation citations are handled by the City of Yuba City and not the Superior Court.

There are several options available to you to clear a citation, depending on the type of violation cited and how you choose to plead. These options are described in a reminder notice sent to the address listed on the citation. You must take action to resolve or contest your citation by the appearance date written at the bottom of the citation.

Failure to take action

If you do not take action, an additional civil assessment of $10 will be added to the amount owed unless you provide written proof of "good cause" for your failure to appear. In addition to the civil assessment of $10, a hold may be placed on your driver's license (pursuant to vehicle code 40509/40509.5).

Failure to appear

Lastly, if you fail to appear the court may find you guilty in your absence or in a trial by written declaration (vehicle code section 40902 and 40903). Failure to receive the reminder notice is not an acceptable excuse for not clearing the citation by the appearance date listed on the citation.

Types of Violations 

Moving Violations

Moving violations are violations related to the driving and operation of a motor vehicle. Penalties and options for moving violations may include a fine, providing proof of correction, attendance at traffic violator school, or entering a plea of not guilty, posting bail and requesting a court trial. In some instances a mandatory court appearance may be required.

Correctable Violations ("Fix-it" tickets)

A correctable violation is one that pertains to vehicle registration, driver’s license, insurance or defective or broken equipment. If you receive a citation for a correctable violation, you may submit proof of correction with the appropriate fee(s), either by mail or in person to the Traffic Unit. To establish proof of correction, a law enforcement officer or other authority as indicated below must sign the back of your citation or reminder notice listing each violation that was corrected.

  • Pollution Control Device violations may be signed off by a law enforcement agency unless it is noted that it be certified by a smog check station licensed by the California Bureau of Automotive Repair.
  • Registration/Driver's License Violations can be certified by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) clerk, a traffic clerk or law enforcement agency.
  • Proof of Insurance for VC 16028(a) violations may be submitted directly to the court. If you were covered by insurance at the time you received the traffic citation but the proof of insurance was not in the vehicle, you can mail or bring your insurance policy or insurance card showing the dates of coverage to the Traffic Unit. For a single violation, a fee of $25 must be paid to the Court. Multiple violations must be paid in full. If submitting proof through the mail, please make checks payable to Sutter Superior Court and include your case or citation number.

If you purchased insurance coverage after you received the citation, you may mail a copy or bring your insurance policy or insurance card, showing the effective dates of coverage, to the clerk's office and the fine for the insurance violation may be reduced by 50%.

If you did not have insurance and do not intend to purchase it, you must pay the entire amount due reflected on your courtesy notice.

    Your Options

    You also have the option to contest the citation by entering a not guilty plea and requesting a Court Trial or a Trial by Written Declaration.

    Click here for options for contesting a citation.

    If you are unable to pay the full fine by the due date see the information below for payment options. If you have a financial hardship, see "Financial Hardship and Ability to Pay" section, found on the right-hand column (click here). If you fail to clear your citation by the due date, a civil assessment and additional penalties in the amount of $10 may be added and a hold may be placed on your driver's license.

    Juvenile Traffic

    Traffic citations issued to persons under age 18 are also processed by the Traffic Division pursuant to W&I code §603.5 and the options and instructions on this website apply. If a mandatory appearance is required, a parent or legal guardian must accompany persons under age 18.

      Payment Options/information

      Pay by Web (online):

      This Court accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover only. You may pay the fine by selecting the Traffic Payment button on our home page, or by clicking here.

      A convenience fee of 1.99% will be added to your payment . Our website is available 24 hours a day.

      Pay by Mail:

      Do not mail cash.

      Send a check or money order payable to Sutter Superior Court and mail to 1175 Civic Center Blvd., Yuba City, CA 95993. Include the full amount due, reminder notice, signed statement of rights and proof of correction if applicable.

      Pay in Person:

      Payments can be made by cash, check, money order, debit or credit card, at the Traffic Division located at 1175 Civic Center Blvd. in Yuba City.

      A convenience fee of 1.99% will be added for debit or credit card payments.

      Make Payment Arrangements:

      Installment payment arrangements can be made in the Traffic Division located at 1175 Civic Center Blvd. in Yuba City.

      If you are asking to make monthly payments without going to court, you must meet the following requirements:
      • Your case must not require a mandatory appearance
      • You must complete and sign an installment agreement
      • You must pay the down payment as specified by a traffic or accounting clerk

      To determine eligibility, appear at the Traffic Division or call 530-822-3301 during normal business hours. Click here for more information.

      Past-Due Fines

      If your fine is past due and you have received a delinquency notice, click here.

      Was this helpful?

      This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.