Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Juvenile Division

What the Juvenile Court Handles

The juvenile court handles three different types of cases:

  1. Dependents (Welfare & Institutions Code §300): Children who have been abused, neglected, or abandoned.
  1. Status Offenders (Welfare & Institutions Code §601): Minors who have committed offenses which are only illegal due to their age and would not be considered illegal if committed by adults. Some examples include truancy, running away from home, etc.
  1. Delinquents (Welfare & Institutions Code §602): Minors between the ages of 12 through 17, inclusive, who have committed an illegal act, which if committed by an adult, would be considered a criminal offense. Some examples include any felony or misdemeanor violations.

Juvenile Transfer Information

As required by California Rules of Court, Rule 5.610(f)(2) juvenile transfer cases should be set as follows:

  • Tuesday & Thursday at 10:00 a.m.
  • Tuesday & Thursdays at 8:30 a.m.

Location and Telephone number are listed under "Contact Information" to the right.

Juvenile Traffic

Juvenile traffic citations involving only infraction Vehicle Code violations are handled by the Traffic Unit. If you have have received a Traffic Reminder Notice in the mail you can follow the instructions located on the notice or refer to the Traffic page.

If you have received a Notice to Appear, it is a mandatory appearance and you must appear in court at the date and time indicated on the notice. If a mandatory appearance is required, a parent or legal guardian must accompany minors.

Juvenile Appeals

A notice of appeal must be filed within 60 days after the rendition of the judgment or the making of the order being appealed. Except as provided in California Rules of Court, Rule 8.66, no court may extend the time to file a notice of appeal.

For more information, consult Title 8 of the California Rules of Court, Rules 8.400 – 8.474, which sets forth the governing codes on the procedures for Juvenile cases.

Juvenile FAQs

Click on the frequently asked questions below for more information.

Use the Request to Change Court Order for the request for the modification. Please consult your attorney prior to filing this form to ensure that you are following the appropriate procedure and using the correct form.

The Judicial Council website has an Emancipation Pamphlet, which explains the requirements for emancipations. In Sutter County, emancipations are filed and heard in the Civil Courts.

Please contact the court for more information.

Yes, a parent or legal guardian must appear with their child for court hearings.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.